Saturday, April 27, 2013

Stuffed Peppers

This recipe was born out of a craving for enchiladas without the soggy tortillas.  So, I substituted pasilla peppers for the tortillas.  It came out similar to a baked chile relleno without the cheese overload.  Here's what you'll need:

 First step, wash the pasilla peppers (you can use anahiem peppers if you would like, but not the smaller peppers.
Cut the peppers in half and remove the white vein in the middle along with the seeds. Rinse the inside to get all the seeds out.  Then place the cut halves in a baking pan.  I ended up only using two pasillas and chopped the third to be added to the filling.  I also lined my baking pan with tin foil for easier clean up.

Now the filling!  First I sauted some of the pasilla I diced.

While that is sauting, I cut the pork carnitas that my Fiance made earlier.  He took a small pork shoulder and put in the crockpot with chicken stock and let it cook all day.  I didn't use all of the pork and saved some for the next days dinner (carnitas tacos with avocado and pico de gallo!).
I know there is onion in the ingredient picture, but I ended up not using it.  It looked great from the outside, but inside was...well, gross.  So, I nixed it.  Throw the carnitas into the pan with the pasilla peppers.  Mix and add a little cumin and chili powder.

I cooked about 1 cup of rice following the directions on the back of the bag and added it to the pork mixture.  Beware with cooking rice!  I didn't watch it as well as I should and some of the rice stuck to the bottom of the pot.  It was not fun to get off. 

Mix the rice and pork mixture together.

Add the kidney beans and mix.

Stuff the peppers with the pork mixture.

Add the enchilada sauce over the top of the mixture and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

Remove the peppers and add a bit of a cheese on top before returning to the oven and baking for another 10 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment